- Rev. Utah Smith was a traveling evangelist, more than a recording artist, but the few records that were produced, all featuring his landmark song “Two Wings”, are essential for historians and collectors.
- Recommended is Lynn Abbott’s book about Rev. Utah Smith, titled “I Got Two Wings”. It was accompanied by a CD featuring all of the recordings listed below, except for the unissued Checker sides. The book and CD were available through CaseQuarter (see Links page).
- All dates are recording dates.
- This page lists all known recordings by Rev. Utah Smith.
|New York City, NY, June 1944|
|S1131||I Want Two Wings||Regis 1004, Manor 1051, Arco 1235, Kay-Ron 1002|
|S1132||God's Mighty Hand||Regis 1004, Manor 1051, Arco 1235, Kay-Ron 1002|
- Released as by Rev. Utah Smith the Traveling (or Travelling) Evangelist.
- The original release was on Regis (1944), then came Manor (1947), Arco (1950) and Kay-Ron (mid to late 1950’s), the latter being a 45rpm release.
|New Orleans, LA, Autumn 1947|
|A8590 (8453)||I Got Two Wings||Two Wing Temple 1/2|
|? (8454)||Glory To Jesus I'm Free||Two Wing Temple 1/2|
- The Two Wing Temple single was released in the 78rpm and the 45rpm format, both as by Rev. Utah Smith and Congregation.
- The 45rpm version was probably released around 1960 and shows the matrix numbers as given between brackets.
- Both the 78rpm and the 45rpm issues exist with label variations (the 78rpm version exist with the issue numbers reversed). They have probably been repressed a couple of times.
|New Orleans, LA, 1947|
|-||Two Wings (excerpt)||BBC broadcast|
|-||Every Man's Got To Lay Down And Die (excerpt)||BBC broadcast|
- These recordings can be found on side 4 of two transcription discs from April 16, 1947. It is not known what Utah Smith performances, if any, are on sides 1, 2 and 3.
|-||Unidentified Hymn||BBC Broadcast|
- As by the Two Wing Temple COGIC Choir.
- From BBC Broadcast “Merry-Go-Round Newsreel: BBC covers the world”
|Chicago, IL, c. August/September 1953|
|U7539||Two Wings||Checker 785|
|U7540||God Is Worried||unissued|
|U7541||Glory To Jesus||unissued|
|U7543||Take A Trip||Checker 785|
|U7546||Heaven Is Mine||unissued|
- Checker 785 released as by Rev. Utah Smith.
|Prob. Brookhaven, MS, c. 1954-55|
|A||Two Wings Flying Home, Pt. 1||Magnolia acetate|
|B||Two Wings Flying Home, Pt. 2||Magnolia acetate|
- As by Brother Bill Louis.
|Prob. c. 1955|
|A||Two Wings||no label US1|
|B||A New World In My View||no label US2|
- As by Eld. Utah Smith and Congregation.